In my never ending search of finding something to do, that will allow me to stay at home, to give Brennan the same undivided attention that Lily was lucky enough to have, accomodate Sean's super crazy busy schedule, and actually bring in a few extra dollars here and there, I've decided to start sewing again. I tried selling Silpada and absolutely loved the jewelry, but I couldn't book enough parties or pester enough people, to make it worth while. It also took away from the little time that Sean and I had together, and ended up putting more strain on us than help. The same went for babysitting. I had a wonderful young couple that I was sitting for, who were really flexible and easy-going. They dropped their 9-month old son off to me and trusted me to care for him in my own way. The kids loved having him there and were very gentle.
But, let's face it. Times are hard for everyone right now and honestly, I'm tired of struggling. Very few families can live on 1 income and although Sean works 2 jobs, he's grossly underpaid, and expenses are through the roof. When on earth will teachers, nurses, social workers, and public safety officers be compensated, and held to the same high regard as doctors, lawyers, and entertainers?! Seriously, it's long overdue.
Anyhow, my one and only talent that I possess and haven't yet tried to utilize, is sewing. I'm not a seamstress by any means, except the most simple of garments, but I can get pretty crafty and create some cute things, if I try. Pillows, blankets, curtains, valances, etc. are what I've done the most of, but my latest attempt is pretty darn cute, if I do say so myself....and the best part is, my kids love them! Stuffed Animal Sleeping Bags.
Lily and Brennan both love to put their animals to bed and will use anything they can find for a blanket (tissues, napkins, their clothes). I noticed my friend's daughter had little beds for her animals and I thought, "I can make that!" So, I pulled out every spare scrap of fabric I had and came up with these. Pillows and all. So cute! I can make them in any color or size, for animals, dolls, or toys.
5 comments:
I think sewing is GREAT idea! Have you looked at the site, Etsy.com? It's full of stay at home moms making and selling things. Cute stuff...and a great way to get your stuff out there. You could do the occassional craft show as well. Have fun and keep us updated. I want to see pics of the things you are making!
Thanks Caroline for all of the nice comments. At least SOMEONE is reading my blog! ;)
Hey! I read too! These are very cute:-)
Sorry Jen, I didn't forget you. I'm very thankful to have you both as faithful friends. I wish more of my family would jump on the blog bandwagon and share their comments. We're pretty lonely down here!
Post a Comment