Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Drama filled evening

Ahh yes, what a fun night it was. So, I woke up about 2 weeks ago, feeling like I had slept as a twisted pretzel all night. My neck started feeling better in a day or two, my shoulders and back finally relaxed, and my arms regained their feeling again. But, a pain in my sternum has lingered around, bothered me, and simply still hurts. It feels like a bruise and makes me have the constant need to take deep breaths. I've tried to calm it away, relax, stretch, but nothing has helped. Sean has nagged me to exercise for years and this has only given him more of a "told you so" attitude. Great. Yes, I know he's right, but right now I need comfort.

Finally yesterday afternoon, I was taking a deep breath and felt something SNAP, like a rubberband, inside my chest. I thought to myself, "that was either a really good thing or really bad." So, I waited to see how I felt. Not much better, not worse. Then later in the evening, in my exhausting effort to get the kids to cooperate, so I could make dinner, I sat down for a minute and felt a sharp pain in my chest and then slight numbness in my left arm. "Oh no." I reminded Lily of her responsibility if something should happen to Mommy, which is the scariest thing to talk to your child about, but the most important to do. I called Sean to see how close to being home he was and fortunately, he wasn't far. I prepared the kids to go, just in case, tried to get dinner put away, and changed my clothes.

Sean walked in the door and in his most panicked and scared tone, barked out "what was I doing and to SIT down!". I thought I was feeling better, but then I started to get dizzy and sat back down. That's all he needed to see and called the Medics. (Seriously, I think he just wanted to hear the sirens). Oh for crying out loud, the entire neighborhood came out to see, gawked, stared, and called our house. My poor kids, I just wanted to feed them dinner. But, I'm doing this for them, just to be sure, so we can rest easy.

They transported me all the way downtown, we spent 3 hours in the ER, surrounded by horrendously sick and awful sounding people, I had 2 EKGs, Chest Xrays, blood work, and an IV. Nice. Fortunately, everything came back looking great, but no answers about my pains. They scheduled me for a stress test, which no surprise, all this is about. Bottom line, hard working, struggling parents, and dedicated couples, cannot be expected to worry every single day, about everything in their lives, and NEVER get a break. Never. Vacations should be free and they should be often.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I'm glad you are okay, but maybe this is a sign that not only do you deserve, but you desperately NEED a break!

caroline said...

Khrystin- Ok, seriously, that post gave me the chills. And yes, I think this is clearly a wake up call that YOU need a break. I am so sorry you went through that, it must have been terrifying...most especially for the kids! PLEASE, take care of yourself even if that means demanding some time!

KJH said...

Thanks girls. I'm just holding on to the dream of Sean and I being able to take a honeymoon one day....before we drive each other totally nuts!