Thursday, April 23, 2009

Nesting Ducks

Bright and early, yesterday morning, we noticed some mallard ducks waddling around our neighborhood. One female duck being aggressively pursued by three males (poor girl). Well, not more than an hour later, the female chose our yard, just 2 feet outside our front door, quickly made her nest in the pine straw (a very cheap alternative to wood chip mulch down here, but perfect nesting material for ducks...who knew?!), and laid an egg! The males all stood guard, staking their claim, and waiting for the paternity results. Actually, 2 of the 3 buried their bills in their feathers and went to sleep (figures! It's hard work chasing women).

I quickly called my friend and had her park her car down the street, so I could carry her little girl inside the back door, to babysit. I also tried getting a hold of the workmen that were coming, to reschedule them power washing our house. No luck.

We learned that the mommy duck would lay 1 egg per day, up to 8-12 eggs. Then, start to incubate them all at the same time, for about 28 days. We were so excited about the possibility of seeing all of this happen and the fun experience it would be for the kids.

Sadly, they all got scared away by the workmen coming to our front door. I desperately hoped they would come back right away....but they didn't. And unfortunately, a predator (which I didn't see), got to the egg some time later, and destroyed it. I've been so upset over it and can't bring myself to restore things to how they were. I've looked for the ducks, not that I could do anything, but simply to assure myself that nature has taken it's course, and they've found another nesting spot. A safe one. Nonetheless, we feel pretty special, that they chose our house, I'm just sorry we couldn't protect them.

1 comment:

caroline said...

That is so cool Khrystin! I wish the story could've been finished with 12 waddling baby ducks in your front yard!