Thursday, December 11, 2008

Fighting the sickies again

Man, I tell ya, Lily has been more sick down here, than we ever were up North. I know that so much of it has to do with the fact that she's in school now, but sheez louise. Poor thing has been sick since Thanksgiving. It starts with a normal cold and congestion and then the COUGH...the cough...it lingers around for weeks. And not just a little cough either - a gasping cough with terrible breathing difficulties, often resulting in slight vomiting. She's full of energy, alert and well, and has no signs of asthma. Her lungs are clear and thankfully, no ear infections this round, yet. I've suggested allergies or possible respiratory concerns, but was disregarded by her ped. He's so quick to prescribe Singular and an OTC cough suppresant, but yet can't even tell me what could be causing this. He actually even said, "he wished she had pneumonia, so it would be easier to diagnose". After further research and terrifying information, I've decided against Singular. Scary side effects and absolutely not worth the risk. I'm going to try old fashioned remedies first, like humidifiers and honey, and start looking for a 2nd opinion. Got one?

1 comment:

caroline said...

what the heck are the scary side effects of Singulair? I was on it for years...and I have to say it worked great! Now, you're scaring me!

I have no other suggestions, but I would definitely get a 2nd opinion. It might be nothing at all except a nasty bug that is lingering. I remember Madison, Scott and I had a "cough virus" a couple years ago and I kid you not, we coughed the most annoying cough EVER for 6 weeks....