Sunday, March 8, 2009

Kicked butt and took names!

Woo Hoo! We did it. The kids and I walked (well, they skipped) the East Cooper River bridge, a.k.a. the Ravenel bridge, notably North America's longest cable-stayed span. The total distance one way across is 2.7 miles long, so our half way up (back down 1/4 of the way), back up to the top again and all the way back down trip, certainly was over 3 miles. That's a huge accomplishment for me...and the kids!

You can't tell from the picture, but the climb up is VERY steep (4% slope) and with wicked winds clocking in at 30-40 mph at the top, it was a fierce workout. The kids did really well and took turns riding in the stroller. Right as we made it all the way up, someone came running up behind us, asking if we lost a little blue Gap hat. Ugh! Yes...it was ours - half way back down and blowing away fast. The drop off is 200 feet and I certainly wasn't jumping in after it. So...we ran back down and Brennan did an awesome job grabbing it to save the day! But, we hadn't taken pictures yet, so we had to go all the way back up. We weren't going to all this trouble and NOT take pictures. I'm so glad we did, because the end result was well worth it!



4 comments:

caroline said...

that's a beautiful bridge! I'm assuming there is a walking path on there, but I can't see it from the distant picture. Or was the bridge closed down for the day or what? Help a poor, friend brain girl out here!

The picture at the top of the bridge is adorable!

caroline said...

oh, and that's supposed to say *fried* ...not "friend" ...you get the point! My brain IS fried!

KJH said...

Haha, yes, I guessed that. I didn't take the picture of the actual bridge, but yes there is a bike/walking path next to the very loud and FAST driving lanes. Pretty scary and the 3 foot high concrete barrier wall, would do nothing to stop an out of control car going 70mph!

Jen said...

Beautiful pic of the kiddos. What a fun adventure!